Academic education and professional career
Director of the Institute of Applied Mathematics, Heidelberg University, Germany
Full Professor (W3) of Applied Analysis at the Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Sciences and an associated member of the Interdisciplinary Center of Scientific Computing (IWR), Heidelberg University, Germany
Visiting Professor, Department of Mathematics, University of Lyon, France
Independent Research Group Leader (ERC Starting Grant and Emmy-Noether- Group), IWR and BIOQUANT, Heidelberg University, Germany
Visiting Faculty Member at Mathematical Bioscience Institute, Columbus Ohio, USA
Project leader, Heidelberg Academy of Sciences and Humanities (WIN Kolleg)
Postdoctoral project leader, Center for Modeling and Simulation in Biosciences (BIOMS), IWR, Heidelberg University, Germany
Dr. habil., University of Wroclaw, Wroclaw, Poland
Dr. rer. nat., Heidelberg University, Germany; Advisor: Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. mult. Willi Jäger
Diploma (mgr) in mathematics, University of Warsaw, Poland; Advisor: Prof. Dr. M.Lachowicz
Other achievements & Awards
Member of the Commission for Research and Strategy, Heidelberg University
Member of the Board of the Flagship Initiative Engineering Molecular Systems (Fl EMS) of the Excellence Strategy of Heidelberg University
Elected representative at the Senat of Heidelberg University
Principal Investigator at the “Structures” Cluster of Excellence (DFG), Heidelberg University
Fellow of the Marsilius Kolleg, Heidelberg University
International Scientific Advisory Board of the Center for Advanced Systems Understanding (CASUS), Görlitz, Germany
ESMTB representative to European Mathematical Society (EMS)
Simons Professor, Mathematical Institute, Polish Academy of Sciences, Warsaw
Organising Committee of the Year of Mathematical Biology 2018 (EMS/ESMTB)
Member of the Research Council of the Interdisciplinary Field of Focus “Structure and pattern formation in the material world”, Excellence Initiative, Heidelberg University
Member of the Executive Board of the Heidelberg Graduate School of Mathematical and Computational Methods for the Sciences (HGS), Heidelberg University
Board Member of ESMTB (European Society of Mathematical and Theoretical Biology)
Board Member of the Mathematics Center Heidelberg (MATCH), Heidelberg University
Speaker of the Kollegiates of Heidelberg Academy of Sciences and Humanities
Deputy Director of the Institute of Applied Mathematics, Heidelberg University
Kollegiat of Heidelberg Academy of Sciences and Humanities
Principal Investigator at the Collaborative Research Center 873 (SFB 873)
AcademiaNet Portal for Outstanding Female Scientists and Scholars of Robert Bosch Foundation (nominated by DFG)
Emmy-Noether-Programme of German Research Council (DFG)
ERC Starting Grant (in the first call of 2007)
WIN-Kolleg of the Heidelberg Academy of Science and Humanities
- Köthe, A., A. Marciniak-Czochra and I. Takagi. 2020. Hysteresis-driven mechanism of pattern formation in a basic reaction-diffusion-ODE model. Disc. Cont. Dyn. Systems. A. 40: 3595.
- Klawe, F., T. Stiehl, P. Bastian, C. Gaillochet, J.U. Lohmann, and A. Marciniak-Czochra. 2020. Mathematical modeling of plant cell fate transitions controlled by hormonal signals. PLOS Comp. Biol. 16: e1007523. PMID: 32687508.
- Stiehl, T., W. Wang, C. Lutz and A. Marciniak-Czochra. 2020. Mathematical modeling provides evidence for niche competition in human AML and serves as a tool to improve risk stratification. Cancer Research 80: 3983-3992. PMID: 32651258.
- Kalamakis, G., D. Brüne, S. Ravichandran, J. Bolz, W. Fan, F. Ziebell, T. Stiehl, F. Catala-Martinez, J. Kupke, S. Zhao, E. Llorens-Bobadilla, K. Bauer, S. Limpert, B. Berger, U.Christen, P. Schmezer, J.P. Malm, B. Berninger, A. Del Sol, A. Marciniak-Czochra, A.Martin-Villalba. 2019. Control of quiescence modulates the maintenance and regenerative capacity of neural stem cells in the aging brain. Cell. 176: 1407-1419. e14. PMID: 30827680.
- Brinkmann, F., M. Mercker, T. Richter and A. Marciniak-Czochra. 2018. Post-Turing tissue pattern formation: Advent of Mechanochemistry. PLOS Comp. Biol. 14: e1006259. PMID:29969460.
- Marciniak-Czochra, A., S. Härting, G. Karch and K. Suzuki. 2018. Dynamical spike solutions in a nonlocal model of pattern formation. Nonlinearity 31: 1757.
- Ziebell, F., S. Dehler, A. Martin-Villalba and A. Marciniak-Czochra. 2018. Revealing age related changes of adult hippocampal neurogenesis using mathematical models. Development 45: dev153544.
- Marciniak-Czochra, A., G. Karch and K. Suzuki. 2017. Instability of Turing patterns in reaction-diffusion-ODE systems. J. Math. Biol. 74: 583-618. PMID:27305913.
- Mercker, M., A. Köthe and A. Marciniak-Czochra. 2015. Mechanochemical symmetry breaking in Hydra aggregates. Biophysical J. 108: 23962407. PMID:25954896.
- Marciniak-Czochra, A., and M. Ptashnyk. 2008. Derivation of a macroscopic receptor-based model using homogenisation techniques. SIAM J. Mat. Anal. 40: 215-237. DOI:10.1137/050645269.